Drivers are being urged to be carefully when filling their cars with anti-freeze
Pet owners are being warned to look out for signs their animals have swallowed anti-freeze after two cats were found dead in Fife.
It is not clear whether the cats, which were found in Methilhaven Road, Buckhaven, were poisoned deliberately or accidently, said the Scottish SPCA.
Signs of anti-freeze poisoning include vomiting, lethargy and in the latter stages, head shaking and coma.
The animal charity is trying to find the dead cats' owners.
It follows post-mortems on the animals, which were found on Saturday 24 October.
The first cat is a pure black female domestic short-haired cat, which was wearing a distinctive black and green collar patterned with cats' eyes.
The second was a male black and white domestic semi-long haired cat wearing a green bandana around his neck.
Louise Seddon, of the Scottish SPCA, said: "Without any other evidence we cannot say whether the poisoning was deliberate or accidental, but two cat deaths in the same area on the same day is concerning and there is obviously a source somewhere nearby.
"It may be that people have been servicing their cars in preparation for the winter.
"Changing the coolant can result in spills so we are urging drivers to take extra care and to dispose of anti-freeze properly.
"Pet owners in the area should be vigilant when letting their cats out of the house, and should supervise their animals where possible."
She added that anti-freeze is one of the most common causes of cat poisoning, particularly in the winter months.
The liquid is usually colourless and odourless, but it has a sweet taste that appeals to dogs in particular, but cats will also ingest it.