Page last updated at 10:43 GMT, Monday, 26 October 2009

Flats evacuated after stair fire

Residents at a block of Edinburgh flats were evacuated after a mattress was deliberately set alight in the stairwell.

Firefighters had to rescue two people from their homes in South Clerk Street by ladder during the fire, which started at about 2200 GMT on Sunday.

A Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said two others jumped to safety from their windows.

The other 18 residents were led to safety by emergency crews.

A Lothian and Borders Police spokesman said: "Police are investigating after a fire broke out within a common stair at a building in South Clerk Street on Sunday night.

"Anyone who has any information should get in touch as soon as possible."



Print Sponsor


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific