Page last updated at 09:46 GMT, Tuesday, 24 March 2009

Developer collapse hits city plan

Advertisement

The development was the biggest project in Edinburgh since the Scottish Parliament

Edinburgh's biggest development project in a decade has been put on hold after the firm behind it went into administration.

The £300m Caltongate development by Mountgrange Capital has faltered after the developer said the Bank of Scotland had pulled out its financial support.

Mountgrange said the bank had classified its loan as a "toxic asset".

The development in the city's Old Town attracted hundreds of objections from campaigners and heritage groups.

The plans included a luxury hotel, an office complex and 200 homes.

It was the biggest project in Edinburgh since the construction of the £414m Scottish Parliament, and was expected to take up to five years to complete.

Mark Cummings, spokesman for Mountgrange Capital, confirmed that Deloitte had been appointed administrators for the company.

He told BBC Radio Scotland: "For people in Edinburgh, that means that our ability to make good on the Caltongate development will be impaired in the short-term certainly.

"Over the last four years that we've been promoting this project and since the economic difficulty kicked in last summer, nothing has changed from Mountgrange Capital's perspective - we've just published our last annual accounts which made provision for this project.

"But in the last two weeks a change of attitude has been forthcoming from our bankers and that has led to us having to take this action because their support has dropped away."

Mr Cummings said Mountgrange Capital suffered a loss last year after they had to write-down the land value of the Caltongate site.

He said the company had a "strong desire" to take the assets out of administration.

"We have already indicated that we are likely to look at the opportunity of taking the assets that have gone into administration out of administration," he added.

The development attracted the attention of Unesco last year because it would have been part of Edinburgh's World Heritage Site.

Unesco inspectors threatened to launch an inquiry into the city's World Heritage status after campaigners said the development did not fit in with the city's Old Town.

The Bank of Scotland has said it was unable to comment for reasons of confidentiality.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
'Gaping hole' in heart of community
24 Mar 09 |  Edinburgh, East and Fife
Major city schemes given backing
27 Aug 08 |  Edinburgh, East and Fife
City's heritage site status probe
07 Jul 08 |  Edinburgh, East and Fife
Haymarket hotel proposal approved
25 Jun 08 |  Edinburgh, East and Fife
Old Town revamp gets green light
18 Jun 08 |  Edinburgh, East and Fife

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific