[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 2 April 2007, 16:35 GMT 17:35 UK
Car crash city schoolgirl in coma
Western General Hospital
Kaya McInnes is being treated at the Western General Hospital
An Edinburgh schoolgirl is in a critical condition after suffering serious head injuries in a car crash in which her aunt and uncle died.

Kaya McInnes, 13, who lives with her mother Leonora, 52, in Edinburgh is in a coma following the collision in the Highlands on Saturday 24 March.

The James Gillespie's High School pupil had been visiting her father Duncan and was sleeping in the back of a Peugeot.

The car hit a camper van on the A9 near the Dalwhinnie junction.

The hospital have shut her body down to help it repair itself and machines are helping her breath
Nicky Logan
Kaya's brother

She was airlifted to hospital in Inverness, before being transferred to the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh.

Kaya's mum, sister Lyndsay, 27, and brother Nicky Logan, 34, have been at Kaya's bedside almost constantly since the crash.

She is connected to a life support machine and has lain in a coma for over a week.

She suffered bleeding and swelling to her brain, a punctured lung, broken ribs and a suspected fractured pelvis.

The teenager had been sleeping in the back of a Peugeot estate car, which brother Nicky says was driven by her aunt, when it collided with a camper van on the A9, near the Dalwhinnie junction.

Kaya's aunt, Elizabeth Hall, from Falkirk, and uncle Jim McKinlay, 50, an amateur referee from Edinburgh who was believed to be sitting in the back seat, died instantly.

The child's father, who was the front seat passenger, also suffered cracked bones in his back and broken ribs.

Major head trauma

Kaya's mother said: "Initially they said she was a fatality. They said three people had died including a 13-year-old girl, but then we found out she had been airlifted to hospital.

"I just called her sister Lyndsay and we drove straight up to Inverness.

"We still didn't realise just how bad it was. But when we got there at about 0330 BST, Kaya was already on a life support machine she still is now."

"We don't know if she will have to learn to walk or talk all over again.

"It is a week since the accident but it just feels like one long, terrible day. I've been living at the hospital, it's like I'm standing on the outside and this is happening to someone else."

Brain swelling

Brother Nicky said: "She sustained a major head trauma and this has caused swelling on the brain.

"Because of this the hospital have shut her body down to help it repair its self and machines are helping her breath, keeping her sedated, feeding her and monitoring all this, she is in a sort of induced coma, so I know she's not feeling any pain."

A spokesman for NHS Lothians confirmed Kaya is still in a coma, and is in a stable condition.

A Crown Office spokesman said the circumstances of the crash remained under investigation.

Young girl 'serious' after crash
27 Mar 07 |  Highlands and Islands

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific