Page last updated at 12:35 GMT, Thursday, 1 January 2009

Fireworks cause fire at nightclub

About 400 people had to be evacuated from an Edinburgh nightclub after indoor pyrotechnics set fire to plastic netting stretched across the ceiling.

The netting melted and fell on to the crowd below, slightly burning two women and a member of staff.

They were treated at the scene but were not taken to hospital.

The fire broke out on the ground floor of the Luna nightclub in Picardy Place, just after midnight. Fire officers are investigating.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Frozen revellers see in New Year
01 Jan 09 |  Scotland
Arrest as firework hurts crowd
01 Jan 09 |  Scotland


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific