Nancy Campbell had suffered a mild heart attack and was recovering at the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley.
But when a wave of the winter vomiting bug hit some wards there, she was transferred to the Vale of Leven in Dunbartonshire.
She was placed into the old bed of a C.diff infected patient.
After contracting the bug, Mrs Campbell deteriorated rapidly and within days she had died.
Here, Mrs Campbell's son-in-law, David Logan, tells his mother-in-law's story.
"They looked like a staff who were under severe pressure - that's the impression I got.
"My mother-in-law was being transferred to a hospital that didn't have room for her."
"The irony is, my mother-in-law was recovering," says David Logan.
The hospital move proved fatal. After twice being moved within the Vale of Leven Hospital, Mrs Campbell began to feel unwell.
"She wasn't drinking, she wasn't eating and we were told that she had tested positive for something called C.diff, which we had never heard of before.
"The irony is, my mother-in-law was recovering from the thing that took her into hospital.
"She was a strong-willed individual and I think it was unacceptable that she didn't come out of hospital because of something she contracted while she was there.
"It's unacceptable that you can't put people into hospital and trust that they are going to come out alive."
Of the report which was produced following the C.diff outbreak, Mr Logan said: "I think if you take away the title page, the forward and the executive summary - there is very little substance to this report at all."