[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 17 September 2007, 12:00 GMT 13:00 UK
Timeline: Alva terror trial
Mohammed Atif Siddique has been found guilty of three terrorism offences after standing trial at the High Court in Glasgow.

Here is a summary of key events in the case.


After deliberating for nearly nine hours over three days, the jury returns guilty verdicts.

22 AUGUST 2007
Atif Siddique's trial begins at the High Court in Glasgow. He is charged with five offences, which he denies. The charges include possessing articles useful to a person preparing for an act of terrorism, such as instructions on bomb-making and guerrilla tactics. He is also accused of putting details on websites to encourage terrorism.

11 JULY 2007

Donald Findlay QC, Atif Siddique's lawyer, warns that the case against his client could be prejudiced in the wake of the failed Glasgow and London attacks.

30 AND 31 JUNE 2007

The Siddique family's shop in Alva is vandalised just hours after the terror attack on Glasgow Airport. The shop is targeted again the following day.

4 APRIL 2007

Atif Siddique is told he will stand trial in August. Among the charges facing him are allegations that he claimed to be a member of al-Qaeda and threatened to become a suicide bomber.


Atif Siddique makes his first public appearance at the High Court in Glasgow and denies five charges under the Terrorism Act.

23 OCTOBER 2006

Atif Siddique is excused a first public appearance in court because he is celebrating the end of Ramadan.

5 May 2006

Atif Siddique makes a second appearance at a special court, this time sitting at Polmont Young Offenders' Institution. He again makes no plea or declaration and is committed for trial.

28 APRIL 2006

Asif Siddique is released. Speaking on the steps of Govan police station after his release, he says: "From the start I have always said I was innocent. I don't know why I was detained. Now I just want to get home to my family."

27 APRIL 2006

Atif Siddique is formally charged under Section 58 (1) (b) of the Terrorism Act 2000 in a special court hearing at Falkirk police station. Atif Siddique makes no plea at the hearing, which is conducted amid tight security. Bail is refused.

26 APRIL 2006

Mohammed Rafiq and Mohammed Niaz are released. Police are granted extra time to question Siddique. Mr Rafiq had come from Pakistan to visit family in Alva and was planning to return when he was detained, according to Mr Anwar.

24 APRIL 2006

Three more men are arrested under anti-terrorism law. Atif Siddique's older brother, Asif Siddique, 24, and his uncle Mohammed Rafiq, 40, are detained at an address in Alva while a third man, 46-year-old businessman Mohammed Niaz, is detained in Bridge of Allan, near Stirling.

19 APRIL 2006

A sheriff grants officers a further seven days to question Atif Siddique. His lawyer Aamer Anwar says: "He has had no contact with his mother or father. He is being subjected to several hours of questioning a day and sleeps in a cell with lighting on 24-hours a day being kept under observation. I believe all this may have an impact on his emotional and physical well-being."

14 APRIL 2007

Police are granted a further five days to question Siddique after a private hearing at the high-security Helen Street police station in Govan, Glasgow, where he is being held. Lawyer Aamer Anwar says his client had been questioned from 0845 BST until midday, and from 0745 until 2300 BST the previous day.

13 APRIL 2006

Teams of police officers arrest Atif Siddique during a dawn raid on his family's home and adjoining shop in Alva, Clackmannanshire. Shocked neighbours of the town describe Atif Siddique as a quiet, well mannered boy who regularly served behind the counter of the shop. Some of them described seeing men in suits sitting in cars watching the shop in the days leading up to the raid.

5 APRIL 2006

Atif Siddique and his uncle Mohammed Rafik are detained by Special Branch detectives in the international departures lounge of Glasgow Airport as they prepare to fly to Pakistan for three months. A laptop computer is taken from Siddique, which is later found to a number of videos on it including one showing Osama Bin Laden urging Jihad against the West.


Atif Siddique is alleged to have posted links to military techniques, weapon and bomb making instructions and how to conceal booby traps on websites he owns.


Atif Siddique enrols at Glasgow Metropolitan College, where he is given the nicknames "Suicide Bomber" and "al-Qaeda" by fellow student Razia Hussain. Ms Hussain later tells Atif Siddique's trial how he said he wanted to "blow up Glasgow" and had met Osama Bin Laden. Communications lecturer Brian Glancey claims to have found Atif Siddique watching videos of suicide bombers in class.

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific