A police officer and members of the public pulled a 20-year-old driver to safety from a road accident which left five dead.
The crash happened shortly after 2300 GMT on Saturday
The youngster's unnamed female passengers, aged 19 and 20, died at the crash scene on the A85 near Crieff.
In another car, William Melville, 67, his wife Allison, 60, and their son William, 33 were also killed.
The crash at about 2300 GMT on Saturday took the total number of deaths on Scotland's roads this weekend to 14.
Tayside Police have told how they battled to save three occupants of one of the cars involved in the A85 crash.
The driver was pulled to safety before fire engulfed his Vauxhall Corsa.
A police spokeswoman said that the first officer on the scene found the Corsa on fire and called on members of the public for help.
She explained: "They managed to rescue the driver from the car.
"Sadly, the flames engulfed the car very quickly and they were unable to rescue the two other passengers."
The young driver, from Auchterarder, was taken by ambulance to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee where he underwent emergency surgery to serious burns on both his legs.
Bill, Allison and William Melville died is the smash
He was also treated for a fractured left arm and a facial injury, but his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.
The Corsa collided with a Honda Civic, being driven by Mr Melville who died after being taken to Perth Royal Infirmary. His wife and son were killed at the scene.
Tayside Police are appealing for any witnesses to come forward.
The other fatal accidents included:
- The deaths of Daniel Duczek, 17, from Forres and Kayne Danvers, 17, from Findhorn in a crash at about 2015 GMT on Friday on the Forres to Grantown on Spey road in Moray
- Nicholas James Sim, 20, from Udny in Aberdeenshire died in a crash on the Old Meldrum to Ellon Road at about 1945 GMT on Friday
- A 43-year-old man was killed following a crash on the A77 at about 2240 GMT on Friday
- A 24-year-old male pedestrian died after an accident on West North Street, Aberdeen, at about 0230 GMT on Saturday
- A woman travelling in the front seat of a Citroen car was killed in a two-vehicle collision on the A82 Inverness to Fort William road at 1140 GMT on Saturday
- Jean Fleming, 84, from Largs died in Ayrshire at about 1620 GMT on Saturday after a Ford Escort she was travelling in on the A737 Beith by-pass collided with a Renault Laguna
- An elderly pedestrian died following a road accident on the A82 Ballachulish to Glencoe Road at about 1830 on Saturday
- And police are appealing for witnesses after a 65-year-old man died in a crash in West Lothian at 1335 GMT in Torbane Drive, East Whitburn, West Lothian.