Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Monday, October 25, 1999 Published at 18:54 GMT 19:54 UK


UK: Scotland

Inquiry after man dies in chemical leak

Fire crews were called to deal with the spillage

An investigation has been launched after a laboratory assistant died and four other people were injured in a chemical leak at the Wester General hospital in Edinburgh.

The man died after liquid nitrogen spilled in a basement storage room of the Medical Research Council's Human Genetics Unit in the hospital complex.


The BBC's Liz Mackean: "It is still not known how this man died"
It is not known if his death resulted from a medical condition or as a result of the chemical leak.

Four other were treated for the effects of inhaling chemicals and were later discharged. One was also treated for cuts to the head.


[ image: Prof Hastie:
Prof Hastie: "Deeply distressed"
About 40 people were evacuated from the four-storey block, but emergency services said the leak had been confined to a storage room and there had been no danger to the rest of the hospital.

The Health and Safety Executive said it had launched an immediate investigation into the death.

The centre is a world leader in research into human genetics and the substance involved was used to store human tissue at a sub-zero temperature.

In a statement, the MRC said it was "deeply distressed" by the death of a member of its staff.


BBC Scotland's Morag Kinniburgh: "The man was working in the basement storage unit..."
Unit director Professor Nick Hastie, stressed the liquid nitrogen had not leaked outside the building.

Referring to the dead man, Professor Hastie said: "This was a person who has worked daily with liquid nitrogen for years.

"It poses no threat, it's an inert substance and he used it regularly for our experiments."

'Not dangerous'

Lothian and Borders Fire Brigade spokesman Ross Wynn said: "Nitrogen gas itself is not dangerous - 80% of the air is made of nitrogen.

"But in a confined space it can be dangerous or in close proximity to the liquid gas, you could get cold burns."

A spokesman for Lothian and Borders Police said the dead man, whose name would not be released until his relatives have been informed, was a laboratory assistant.

The Human Genetics Unit, established in 1967, is one of the MRC's largest research establishments, supporting about 220 scientists and staff.

The unit is at the forefront of research into human genetics. Its role is to advance the understanding of genetic factors implicated in human disease.

The injured were named as: Margaret McGurk and Ruth Suffolk, both aged 41, from Edinburgh; Agnes Gallagher, 43, from Carnwarth, Lanarkshire and Stewart McKay, 37, from Balerno, in Midlothian.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage |


Internet Links


Health and Safety Executive

Medical Research Council

Human Genetics Unit Edinburgh


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Sport
Collins calls it a day for Scots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Death inquiry anaesthetist barred

Bowled over by Lord's

Ministers loosen purse strings

'Delight' at Tunnel court outcome

From Sport
Derby double swoop fails

Demands for far-reaching information bill

Gaelic makes sound use of the internet

Trusts 'ignoring' depression advice

BBC Scotland - On Air

'Little change' since poverty pledge

Nine hurt as bus crashes into pub

Teachers' union in pay body challenge

Dental death hearing adjourned

Parliament ponders Royal High flit

Reid quits PR job

Industry misses new trains target

Football and royalty dominate Westminster

From Sport
The next Battle of Britain

Man charged with murdering lab technician

Lockerbie trial judges named

Festival award for Ratcatcher