The owners of The Herald, the Sunday Herald and the Evening Times have announced 65 job losses.
The Herald owners said cuts followed a fall in advertising
Cuts have been earmarked for newsroom and printing operations and came despite assurances earlier this month that jobs at the group would be safe.
The atmosphere after Wednesday's announcement was described as one of shock and anger by sources.
The reason given by owners Newsquest was a downturn in advertising revenue in 2005 which was expected to continue.
In a statement Tim Blott, managing director of Newsquest (Herald & Times) Ltd. said: "Our company has held off considering reductions in staffing for as long as possible but must reluctantly restructure the underlying cost base to protect the future strength of the business."
Staff anger has been compounded by a lack of assurance that there would be no compulsory redundancies.
A mass meeting was held on Wednesday.
Mr Blott said the magazine publications and the s1 website areas of the business were performing well and would not be affected.
A mass meeting of staff was held on Wednesday
A 30-day consultation period has been arranged.
The cuts were the latest to hit the newspaper industry in Scotland, which has been hit by a national downturn in advertising.
In December, Mirror Group newspapers announced it was cutting 29 jobs at the Scottish Daily Mirror.
The announcement was made two days after news of 43 job losses at its sister publications the Daily Record and Sunday Mail in Glasgow.
The Scotsman in Edinburgh has also cut jobs with senior reporters losing their posts.