[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 27 January 2006, 16:56 GMT
Ex-footballer on assault charge
Edinburgh Waverley Station
The court heard that Mr Durie was shouting and swearing
Former Scotland international Gordon Durie has appeared in court on breach of the peace and assault charges.

Mr Durie, 40, who played for Rangers and Chelsea during his career, pleaded not guilty.

He is accused of grabbing a railway worker by the throat on 14 November, 2004 and shouting and swearing in Edinburgh's Waverley Station.

Mr Durie is one of four men standing trial at Edinburgh Sheriff Court in connection with the incident.

The court heard the ex-footballer, of Dalgety Bay in Fife, grabbed railway worker Keith Laing by the throat and tried to push him.

He also became "very aggressive" and swore at another member of staff, the court was told.

Station supervisor Steven Pitblado told the trial before Sheriff James Farrell he was called to a disturbance in the station's busy main concourse at about 2130-2145 GMT.

'Under the influence'

The 38-year-old said he saw four men arguing with his colleague Rab Banner.

One member of the group, whom he identified as Mr Durie, was particularly vocal, he claimed.

Mr Pitblado said the group were "really loud" and "under the influence of alcohol".

The group then made their way to the station's exit.

As officials waited for the police to arrive, the court heard that another member of staff, Mr Laing, stood on Waverley Steps trying to contain the group.

Mr Pitblado told the court: "I clearly remember (accused) number one made an attempt to run up the steps and in doing so grabbed Mr Laing by the throat and tried to push him aside."

Asked by prosecutor John Barclay whether he meant it was Mr Durie who had done so, the witness replied: "yes".

'Very aggressive'

Of the four men, Mr Durie "was the worst" for shouting and swearing, the witness said.

When police arrived Mr Durie "got very aggressive - shouting again and swearing", he added.

The breach of the peace charge alleges that the four men conducted themselves in a disorderly manner, struggled with police officers, shouted, swore, brawled with another person and made violent threats.

Scott Houston, 45, from South Queensferry, Edinburgh; Paul Mooney, 40, from Inverkeithing, Fife; and Edward Spence, 41, also from Inverkeithing, all deny that charge.

Mr Mooney also denies assaulting conductor Graham Miller and punching him on the head.

Mr Spence has pleaded not guilty to head-butting Mr Pitblado.

Station concourse
Witnesses talked of a disturbance on the main concourse

British Transport Police officer Brian Gallacher, 50, told the court he saw a "stramash" between two groups of men on the stairs leading to Waverley Steps.

Constable Gallacher said he recognised Mr Durie and said he was "wild".

He told the court that the man who had assaulted Mr Miller was not one of those on the steps but Mr Mooney was pointed out to him.

When Mr Mooney was cautioned for assaulting Mr Miller he replied: "Aye. I hit him".

The officer said the men at the foot of the staircase in the station were still shouting and swearing and he phoned for assistance.

Three police cars arrived and Mr Durie, Mr Houston and Mr Spence calmed down.

After being cautioned and charged they were allowed to leave.

The trial was adjourned until 10 February.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific