[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Sunday, 30 January, 2005, 16:17 GMT
Inquiry into tower lift's failure
Platform and lift
The fire brigade's platform would not extend to the lift
An inquiry has begun into the cause of lift jam at the Glasgow Science Tower, in which 10 people were trapped.

The group, which included four children, were rescued after fire crews cut through panels in the tower. No-one was injured in the incident.

The lift came to a halt almost halfway up the 344ft (105m) structure and an engineer had to abseil down the ladder to reach those inside.

Both lifts in the rotating structure were affected by the failure.

Emergency services were called to the incident at about 1530 GMT on Saturday.

The fire brigade brought a hydraulic platform to the centre on the banks of the Clyde but it could not extend to the lift.

There was a massive amount of smoke and a couple of flashes
Gary True
Lift passenger

The engineer who reached the lift was unable to get it moving and eventually firefighters inside the tower cut through panels and led the six adults - including one staff member - and four children across a ladder to safety at 2040 GMT.

Centre staff said that despite their ordeal and the low temperature, the group were in good spirits.

Gary True, who was with his grandson Russell Craig, said the group were supposed to be transferred to the second lift but that failed.

Firefighter at scene
Firefighters cut their way through to the lift

He said: "Just as it came up, it must have hit the same obstacle that we hit because you heard a bump and then there was a massive amount of smoke and a couple of flashes. That was the only scary bit."

Glasgow Science Centre chief executive Kirk Ramsay confirmed that an investigation had been launched and the tower would remain closed until the cause had been established and appropriate measures taken.

He said: "We can confirm that one of our lifts stopped on descent of the Glasgow Tower around 3.30pm.

"Several hours later, everybody was brought down safe and well in a Science Centre contingency plan executed by the Fire Brigade.

"We are investigating why this has happened but we can also confirm that both lifts were affected."

There have been a number of problems with the tower. It was forced to close in February 2002 after problems with its rotating base.

It was reopened last September but was forced to shut down again recently for maintenance.

Group trapped in tower lift freed
30 Jan 05 |  Scotland
Glasgow science tower shuts again
08 Sep 04 |  Scotland
Science tower is ready to reopen
23 Aug 04 |  Scotland
Tower boost as princess visits
09 Jul 04 |  Scotland

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific