BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh

 You are in: UK: Scotland
Front Page 
Northern Ireland 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

Friday, 14 September, 2001, 12:15 GMT 13:15 UK
Scots families wait for news
Rubble clearance in New York
Efforts to get at any survivors are continuing
A number of Scottish families are still waiting for news of relatives who were in New York at the time of Tuesday's terrorist attacks.

As hope of finding more survivors in the rubble of the collapsed World Trade Center fades there are fears the number of missing Scots could rise still further.

Officers staffing the Scottish police co-ordination centre are trying to secure information about Scots known to have been in the vicinity.

Some 5,000 people are still unaccounted for and at least 100 families across the UK are thought to be "bracing themselves for the inevitable".

World Trade Centre on fire
Hijacked planes crashed into World Trade Center

Foreign Secretary Jack Straw has confirmed that up to 100 Britons have already been identified as having died in the world's largest terrorist attack.

But the final total of British deaths was more likely to be in the "middle hundreds", he said.

One man from Renfrew is reported to have been traced safe and well on Thursday night.

But the mother of a Scots computer consultant missing in New York said she is hoping against hope he will be found safe.

Sybil Eades-Whyte from Ness on the Isle of Lewis has had no word from her son Gavin Cushie since the attack.

The 48-year old St Andrews University graduate has worked in the United States for 25 years, but was due to return to Lewis at the end of next month to marry his fiancée, Susan Brady from New Jersey.

Mr Cushie was on the 104th floor of the first tower to be hit on Tuesday.

Mrs Eades-Whyte said another son was in contact with the US authorities and the Foreign Office to try to trace him.

Distressed woman
Many people in New York are trying to trace friends and relatives

She conceded that while it was a slim chance, she was clinging to the hope he was in a hospital somewhere.

Mrs Eades-Whyte lost her husband, a retired Episcopalian minister, earlier this year.

Christopher Newton-Carter phoned his brother in Scotland to assure him he was safe minutes after the first plane crashed.

But Mr Newton-Carter, who was working on the 104th floor of the South Tower, then told his brother Mark: "Oh my God, the building is shaking, we have to get out of here."

A colleague of Mark's at the caravan park he runs near Forres, Morayshire, told the Daily Mail: "Mark is very upset. He has not heard from Christopher again. He is on his way down to London to be with his mother."

One British banker telephoned his fiancée twice in the midst of the catastrophe but is now also among the missing.

Derek Sword
Derek Sword, from Dundee, is among the missing

Derek Sword's first call to Maureen Sullivan was to tell her he was safe after the first plane hit the North Tower.

Then the 29-year-old, originally from Dundee, called again to say he was fleeing the burning South Tower where he had been working on the 89th floor.

Mr Sword, who was working for American finance firm Keefe, Bruyette & Woods, then joined thousands of workers and visitors rushing to escape the burning tower block after a second airliner was flown into the building.

Key stories


War view



See also:

13 Sep 01 | Scotland
Fiancée recounts skyscraper call
13 Sep 01 | Americas
Bush promises victory as US mourns
13 Sep 01 | Scotland
Missing son phoned from skyscraper
12 Sep 01 | Scotland
Scotland's leaders united in sorrow
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scotland stories