Page last updated at 09:04 GMT, Wednesday, 7 April 2010 10:04 UK

Families 'disappointment' at Saville delay

Shaun Woodward
Shaun Woodward spoke to Lord Saville on Tuesday

Relatives of those killed and injured on Bloody Sunday have said they are disappointed in the delay of the publication of the Saville Report

On Tuesday, the Northern Ireland Office said it would not be given to parliament until after the election.

A spokesperson said that the decision had been taken because of the impending dissolution of parliament.

Alana Burke, who was knocked down by an armoured car on Bloody Sunday, said the delay was "absolutely disgusting".

Thirteen people died after paratroopers opened fire during a civil rights march in Londonderry in January 1972. Another person died of his injuries some time later.

The inquiry into the events of that day, led by Lord Saville, began in 2000 and finished hearing evidence in 2004.

"The General Election doesn't interest me," continued Ms Burke.

"The disappointment for me is just overwhelming because I just expected this report in the next week or two. Sheer frustration really."

'Walking away'

Kate Nash, whose brother was killed and father injured, on Bloody Sunday said she personally had "no confidence in the inquiry".

"A couple of members of my family, myself included, are actually trying to talk the rest (of her family) into actually walking away from the whole thing," she said.

"I feel the whole of Derry would be behind me if I did that, if my family did that.

"I believe they (other families) are hopeful, and I wouldn't want to take that hope away from them.

"Most of them are looking for a declaration of innocence, others among us want a bit more.

"We want the where's and why for's, what happened, who planned it and of course we would want the judiciary to take over then - a crime was committed we want somebody to pay for it."

The report is currently being checked by a small team of officials and legal advisers, which includes staff from the Ministry of Defence and MI5.

Secretary of State Shaun Woodward had previously expressed a hope that the report could be published before the election.

However he cautioned that parliament would have to be sitting in order to facilitate its publication.

Gordon Brown's announcement on Tuesday that the general election will be on May 6 means that parliament will be dissolved on April 14.

The government has said it is not possible to give the report to parliament before then.

An NIO spokesperson said the the report would remain in the possession of Lord Saville until he could hand it over to parliament.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Saville delayed until after poll
06 Apr 10 |  Foyle and West
More Sunday relatives see report
02 Apr 10 |  Northern Ireland
Families demand Saville release
31 Jan 10 |  Foyle and West
New delay to Bloody Sunday report
23 Sep 09 |  Foyle and West


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific