Page last updated at 23:51 GMT, Tuesday, 23 March 2010

Railway alert 'an elaborate hoax'

A section of the railway line has been closed since Friday
Part of the railway line was closed since Friday

Police investigating the security alert close to the railway line near Newry have removed a number of suspect items.

The alert has been declared an elaborate hoax.

Security forces had been examining a suspicious object between Meigh and Killeen since Friday.

On Saturday night, shots were fired at officers investigating the alert and it caused disruption and the cancellation of some train services.

Chief Inspector Sam Cordner said: "Clearly the placing of these items on the railway line was a deliberate act planned to terrorise the local community and disrupt cross border travel.

"We are appealing for anyone with information regarding the terrorist criminals who brought about this disruption to contact us at Newry police station.

"I am also conducting an investigation into the attempted murder of police officers involved in the clearance operation on the railway line on Saturday night and again appeal to anyone with information regarding this reckless attack to contact us."

On Tuesday night, Translink said the railway line had reopened and the Enterprise service between Belfast and Dublin was now "running as normal".



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Police fired on at railway alert
21 Mar 10 |  Northern Ireland


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific