Page last updated at 09:26 GMT, Monday, 22 March 2010

Giants Causeway gets 9m tourist board grant

Giant's Causeway
The Giant's Causeway is one of Northern Ireland's most popular spots

The Northern Ireland Tourist Board (NITB) is to provide a £9.25m grant towards the building of a new Giant's Causeway visitors' centre.

The grant represents half the cost of the project which will serve Northern Ireland's most popular tourist site.

The Heritage Lottery Fund had already pledged £3m and the National Trust will invest £4m.

The National Trust is seeking to raise the remaining £2m from public donations which have so far reached £215,000.

The visitors' centre, due to be completed in 2012, was designed by Dublin architects Heneghan Peng, and will be hidden from the coastal landscape by a grass roof.

It will have environmental features such as water-permeable paving, natural lighting and rainwater harvesting.

The decision to go ahead with the centre follows years of controversy after the original visitors' centre burned down in 2000.

Alan Clarke, Chief Executive of NITB, said the project would help promote tourist destinations beyond the Causeway.

"This will provide opportunities to grow the tourism sector by signposting visitors to other attractions in the region, increasing the time that visitors stay in the region and increasing the amount spent by visitors."

Artist's impression of visitors centre
An artist's impression of how the visitor centre may look

The National Trust's Director for Northern Ireland, Hilary McGrady, said work should begin on the site "by the end of spring".

"I am delighted that the Northern Ireland Tourist Board and the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Investment have continued to support this massive project and reflect their confidence in our ability to deliver," she added.

The Giant's Causeway's unique rock formations of rugged symmetrical columns have, for millions of years, stood as a natural rampart against the ferocity of Atlantic storms.

The 'discovery' of the causeway was announced in a paper to the Royal Society in 1693.

At that time, there was furious debate over whether the causeway had been created by men with picks and chisels, by nature, or by the efforts of a legendary giant.

Scientists now agree the naturally-formed patterns of rock were formed 65 million years ago by volcanic activity.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Ireland's 'eighth wonder of world'
22 Jan 10 |  Northern Ireland
Causeway project designer named
02 Sep 09 |  Northern Ireland
Ireland's very own 'Northern Rock'
05 Aug 09 |  Northern Ireland
Developer ends Causeway challenge
19 May 09 |  Northern Ireland
Go-ahead for 18m Causeway centre
27 Jan 09 |  Northern Ireland
6m for Giant's Causeway project
12 Jun 08 |  Northern Ireland
Rising sea 'a threat to Causeway'
22 Jan 08 |  Northern Ireland

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific