Page last updated at 08:35 GMT, Friday, 12 February 2010

Order 'should give up Garvaghy' - Martin McGuinness

Orangemen at Drumcree
Portadown Orange Lodge at police lines in 2009

The Garvaghy Road dispute can be resolved by the Orange Order never marching there again, the Deputy First Minister has said.

Martin McGuinness said he believed it was "not too much to ask" to expect that the Orange Order acquiesce to resident demands not to walk there.

He was speaking after DUP MLA Nelson McCausland accused Garvaghy Road residents of "cultural apartheid".

He said they were guilty of attempting to take ownership of certain roads.

Orangemen have been banned from walking down the road during their annual march from Drumcree church since 1998.

Following the Hillsborough Agreement, the DUP and Sinn Fein have set up a six-strong group - three each from their respective parties - to try to agree a framework for dealing with parades.

The group, which is completing its first week of discussions, is due to meet with the SDLP on Friday.

Mr McGuinness said that the unionist community and Orange Order should "make a gesture" to residents of the road by declining to walk down it.

He added: "I think it is not too much to ask given the trouble we have seen on the Garvaghy Road."

But Mr McCausland said residents "were trying to claim ownership of particular roads and say "you cannot go there without our consent".

"There is no other way to describe that but cultural apartheid," he said.

Speaking before the meeting the parades working group, SDLP MLA Dolores Kelly said that her party had been "steadfast" in wanting to see the Garvaghy dispute resolved through "local agreement".

She said the SDLP delegation would be telling the group that its framework should mean the retention of the Parades Commission.

"We want to see the Parades Commission plus, not the Parades Commission minus," she added.

Constructive

Brendan MacCionnaith, spokesperson for the Garvaghy Road Residents Coalition, said that Orangemen could take the same route back from the church as the one they take to get there.

He said that if there was going to be dialogue "then all the options had to be on the table".

"The right to freedom of assembly does not equate to an absolute right to march," he said.

Mr McCausland, Northern Ireland's culture minister, was speaking after a DUP delegation met the Parades Commission, which rules on contentious parades, on Thursday.

In a statement the commission described the meeting as "a positive and useful exchange".

"We urge everyone in a position of influence to promote and encourage dialogue in Portadown and wherever parades are disputed," it said in a statement.

"The commission hopes that all parties in Drumcree will see the merit of dialogue and agree that it is the best way forward."

The last time Orangemen paraded along the Garvaghy Road was in 1997.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Annual Drumcree Orange march held
05 Jul 09 |  Northern Ireland
Robinson to hold Drumcree talks
04 Jul 09 |  Northern Ireland
Parades body get Shepherd at helm
11 Jun 09 |  N Ireland Politics
Order critical of Adams meeting
26 Jun 08 |  Northern Ireland
Drumcree parade passes peacefully
08 Jul 07 |  Northern Ireland
'No need for Drumcree violence'
28 Jun 07 |  Northern Ireland
Drumcree: Marching into the past
04 Jul 02 |  UK News


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific