No evidence was offered against Mr McGlinchey
The son of murdered INLA leader Dominic McGlinchey has been cleared of four charges relating to making and possessing a bomb.
Declan McGlinchey, 33, from Gulladuff Road, Bellaghy, was acquitted of the charges by Mr Justice Gillen, sitting in the High Court in Belfast.
Mr Justice Gillen directed verdicts of not guilty after the prosecution offered no evidence.
The charges related to the discovery of a bomb in Bellaghy in July 2006.
The prosecution had been relying on DNA evidence found on a piece of tape.
Mr McGlinchy had gone to court on Friday to apply for a variation in his bail conditions, only to learn of the decision of the Public Prosecution Service (PPS) not to offer any evidence against him.
Crown lawyer Ciaran Murphy QC explained to the court that the PPS keeps all cases "under continuing review" as decisions to prosecute are based "on the available evidence".
"In preparation for trial, consultations took place with the forensic witness.
"As a result of this consultation, and having carefully considered the evidence as it presently stands, together with the advice of counsel, the PPS has concluded that the evidence is not sufficient to connect the accused to the device which is the subject of this indictment," he said.
Mr McGlinchy's solicitor Niall Murphy said his client should never have been charged as the case was solely-based on Low Copy Number DNA.
He contended that had Mr McGlinchy lived in England "he would never have been charged" as the authorities there "dictate that prosecutions should not be undertaken with this type of evidence alone".
Declan McGlinchey's father was once the most wanted man in Ireland.
He was murdered in an INLA feud in 1994.
Declan McGlinchey's mother - Mary - was shot dead in 1987, also as part of an INLA feud.