Page last updated at 17:50 GMT, Thursday, 18 June 2009 18:50 UK

Leaders meet Romanian ambassador

Advertisement

The bathroom window of a Romanian family's home was smashed

The first and deputy first ministers have met the Romanian ambassador at Stormont to discuss the recent spate of racist attacks.

More than 100 people fled their homes on Tuesday and were given shelter overnight in church hall before being temporarily re-housed on Wednesday.

On Wednesday night, a window was smashed in a house occupied by a Romanian family in east Belfast.

Police said the incident on the Upper Newtownards Road was a hate crime.

After meeting Dr Ion Jinga, First Minister Peter Robinson said: "We are a country that sends out many of its young people around the world and every one of us would hope and expect that when they go into other countries that they are given the best of treatment.

One of over 100 people who left their homes
More than 100 Romanians have been moved to temporary accommodation

"We want to reciprocate that friendship and treatment to everyone who comes to Northern Ireland."

Meanwhile, the chief constable has defended his force's response to the attacks.

Sir Hugh Orde said they attended incidents in south Belfast within 10 minutes but added that it was a complicated picture.

He said that if people had wanted to stay in their homes his officers "would have protected" them.

"If people want to leave an area our job is to protect them as they go ... I can't stop people moving," he said.

The PSNI response was supported by Northern Ireland's policing board.

Chairman Barry Gilligan said there had been inaccuracies in suggestions that police had not responded quickly to pleas for help.

999 calls

He said: "There is a factual record which shows the response ran from immediate to 10 minutes. There is no question of 999 calls not being responded to after 90 minutes."

But Mr Gilligan said it was not a matter for police alone as racism was a "huge problem" in society.

More than 20 Romanian families, who are members of the Roma ethnic group, have spent the past two nights in temporary accommodation. They have been told they can stay there for at least a week.

Doctor Jinga said the authorities had acted promptly to provide help to the families.

Earlier on Thursday, Romanian Consul General Mihai Delcea met Social Development Minister Margaret Ritchie to discuss the attacks and later met the families in emergency accommodation.


Are you in Belfast? Are you affected by the issues in this story? Send us your comments and experiences using the form below.

Name
Your E-mail address
Town & Country
Phone number (optional):
Comments

The BBC may edit your comments and not all emails will be published. Your comments may be published on any BBC media worldwide.




Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Racism in Northern Ireland
17 Jun 09 |  Northern Ireland
Fleeing Romanians are rehoused
17 Jun 09 |  Northern Ireland
Community condemns 'racist thugs'
17 Jun 09 |  Northern Ireland
Locals on Romanian attacks
17 Jun 09 |  Northern Ireland
McGuinness: 'These are criminals'
17 Jun 09 |  Northern Ireland


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2020 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific