Page last updated at 20:24 GMT, Wednesday, 29 October 2008

Second security alert is a hoax

city centre alert
The alert is in Bedford Street

A Belfast city centre street has been reopened after a security alert was declared a hoax.

Bedford Street was closed for a second time on Wednesday evening when police were called to business premises.

Initially, Bedford Street was closed after police received reports of a suspicious object around Windsor House.

Earlier on Wednesday an alert in west Belfast's Twinbrook estate was declared over after several suspect objects were declared hoaxes.

A number of controlled explosions were carried out during the alert. Homes in Summerhill Drive and nearby streets were evacuated on Wednesday morning.

One of the suspicious objects was in the grounds of St Colm's High School, the scene of several alerts this month.

Sinn Féin assembly member Jennifer McCann said residents were upset at the disruption caused by the alert.

"They're quite angry that someone is going about putting these devices in and around homes," she said.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Security alert at school a hoax
21 Oct 08 |  Northern Ireland


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific