Page last updated at 06:19 GMT, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 07:19 UK

Double fire bomb probe continues

JJB Sports
The device partially exploded in the store

An investigation is continuing into a double firebomb attack on a shop in Belfast city centre on Tuesday.

The first partially exploded device was discovered at JJB Sports on Royal Avenue on Tuesday morning.

The second device, which had not detonated, was found during follow-up searches at the scene. It was taken away for forensic examination.

Andrew Irvine, of Belfast City Centre Management, described the attack as "very worrying".

"But hopefully it won't happen more regularly," he continued.

"I was interested in the chief constable's comments last week where he predicted that we will get out of this altogether, that there's a hard element that needs to be dealt with, but he was confident we would be able to deal with it."

Chief Inspector Trevor O'Neill said it was still too early to say who was behind the attack, however, dissident republicans have been blamed for recent similar attacks.

"It does not bear thinking about what might have happened if it had detonated when the store was full," he said.

Mr O'Neill also urged business owners and their staff to be on the look out for suspicious objects.

He also appealed for anyone with information concerning the incident to contact them.

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific