BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


The BBC's Tom Coulter
"The decision was directly related to the statement by the IRA"
 real 28k

The BBC's David Eades
"Plans are afoot for change"
 real 28k

Tuesday, 9 May, 2000, 20:18 GMT 21:18 UK
Army bases to be closed
Army base
Number of army installations likely to be reduced
RUC Chief Constable Sir Ronnie Flanagan has announced the closure of a number of army installations in Northern Ireland as the peace process regains lost momentum.

The Search for Peace
More related to this story
Link to Sinn Fein
Link to Good Friday Agreement
Link to Decommissioning
Sir Ronnie announced that one army base in Londonderry and another in Cookstown, County Tyrone are to be closed, along with observation posts in north and west Belfast and in south Armagh.

He said the scaling down of the army presence was as a result of a security assessment which indicated the threat of paramilitary violence had been reduced.

The assessment has been made by Sir Ronnie and the General Officer Commanding of the army in Northern Ireland following the IRA's weekend pledge on weapons.
Army bases to go
Cookstown, County Tyrone
Fort George, Londonderry
Cloghogue observation post, south Armagh
Observation posts at Broadway, west Belfast.
Observation post, Templar House, north Belfast

The closures were to go ahead despite the ongoing threat posed by dissidents. The week-end's events represent a real lowering of the overall threat, the Chief Constable said.

Subject to continuing reduction in the level of threat, these steps will be followed, within three months, by the demolition of the observation sangar overlooking The Square, in Crossmaglen, he confirmed.

The Chief Constable added that a further review of possible normalisation steps will then be conducted in three months time in light of the security threat prevailing at the time and the circumstances on the ground.

On Saturday the IRA said it was ready to begin a process that would "completely and verifiably" put its weapons beyond use. In response the government began steps to restore a locally elected power-sharing administration by 22 May.

The latest security reductions come at a time when the pro-agreement parties are considering proposals put forward by the British and Irish Governments to inject momentum into the stalled Northern Ireland peace process.



Peter Mandelson: In line with government's normalisation policy
Secretary of State Peter Mandelson welcomed the announcement, saying it paved the way for further reductions as the threat to security reduced.

"The changes announced represent another step along this path, while preserving the security forces' capability to meet the remaining threat from whatever quarter.

"But I have always said that the security of the public will continue to be my highest priority and that essential security interests will not be traded for political progress," he said.

The SDLP's deputy leader, Seamus Mallon, said the removal of security installations in Northern Ireland formed an essential part of the Good Friday Agreement and must be dealt with as a priority.

Mr Mallon said the demolition of look-out towers and sangars (observation posts) in areas like south Armagh would not reduce the security forces' ability to defend the community.

"Now we've got at least some type of implementation plan that can deal with this issue."

He said quick, efficient demilitarisation would help convince ordinary people in heavily fortified areas that the peace accord could make a difference in their lives and reasonable unionists would accept that.

"Broad unionism recognises if we are going to create a normal society this issue has got to be dealt with in a way that is compatible with the protection of the community."

Ulster Unionist Danny Kennedy,who is an MLA for Newry/Armagh, said he had already noticed a lessening in security in the area but demilitarisation must proceed with caution.

"I think all of these steps have to be taken in a very careful assessment on the ground situation," he said.

"It's clear the Chief Constable is operating on a very cautious basis and very properly so."



Gerry Kelly: Reduction is 'long overdue'
Sinn Fein North Belfast Assemblyman Gerry Kelly called for further rapid progress.

"The process of demilitarisation should have begun immediately after the signing of the Good Friday Agreement.

"Sinn Fein has consistently pressed the British government to honour its commitments on demilitarisation for the past two years. This was obviously a key issue for us in the recent round of negotiations."

'Secret' part of deal

But the justice spokesman for the anti-agreement Democratic Unionist Party, Ian Paisley Jnr, voiced his anger at the possible removal of military bases.

Mr Paisley said the move was "the tip of the iceberg" of what the Hillsborough agreement really meant.

"The removal of watchtowers, the reduction of British troops all come about in the face of the IRA's continued threat to use violence."

"Most people will be thoroughly disgusted to learn of this secret part of the Hillsborough deal," he added.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

09 May 00 | Northern Ireland
New life in peace process
16 Mar 00 | Northern Ireland
Further NI troops reduction
26 Feb 00 | Northern Ireland
Demonstrations against assembly suspension
14 Mar 00 | Northern Ireland
Army rejects 'Troops out' call
14 Mar 00 | Northern Ireland
Adams: Arms deadline 'unrealistic'
13 Mar 00 | Northern Ireland
Trimble may face leadership challenge
12 Mar 00 | Northern Ireland
'Critical stage in NI process'
10 Mar 00 | Northern Ireland
'Assembly may be back by Easter'
08 Mar 00 | Northern Ireland
NI talks still unresolved
06 May 00 | Northern Ireland
IRA arms offer
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to other Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories