Page last updated at 07:46 GMT, Tuesday, 29 April 2008 08:46 UK

Man arrested over power black-out

Advertisement

A chainsaw was found close to where two electric poles had been cut down.

A 25-year-old man has been arrested after two electricity poles were cut down in west Belfast on Monday evening.

Two people were taken to hospital after the incident. One has been discharged, the other is in a stable condition.

About 1,400 homes were left without electricity following the incident which police are treating as criminal.

"Two electricity poles holding a fairly major piece of equipment were cut down with what looks like a chainsaw," said Kirsty Forsythe from NIE.

"I cannot overstate how dangerous this was."

The incident happened at 2050 BST. Ms Forsythe said electricity crews, the fire service and an ambulance crew were on the scene at the sub station in the Glen Road area very quickly.

Power was restored to customers within an hour and half, she said.

NIE crews returned to the scene on Tuesday morning to carry out repair work.





FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific