Page last updated at 11:10 GMT, Saturday, 12 April 2008 12:10 UK

Victim dies weeks after assault

Residents met at a prayer vigil
Residents met for a prayer vigil following the attack

Police have launched a murder inquiry after the death of a man assaulted in County Down last month.

Francis Doherty, 62, suffered serious head injuries when he was attacked in his home on the Commons Road, Ballykinler, on Sunday 16 March.

He had been on a life support machine since and died in the early hours of Saturday.

Two men who were arrested in connection with the attack were released pending further inquiries.

Mr Doherty's nephew, Sean Dennis, said he felt his uncle's death was inevitable due to his injuries but "it doesn't get any easier when that time comes".

"We have just got to lean on each other now and get through the next few days," Mr Dennis said.

"It's a hard time when anybody dies, but under the circumstances, that makes it that bit harder to comprehend."



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific