[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 19 October 2007, 09:22 GMT 10:22 UK
Titanic scheme fails in fund bid
Titanic plans
The project aims to attract tourists to the site
A project which aims to attract thousands of tourists to the Titanic Quarter in Belfast has lost out on 25m of lottery money.

The project failed to reach the final funding shortlist for the lottery's Living Landmarks Fund.

The signature project is to sit at the heart of the redevelopment of the Titanic Quarter.

It aims to showcase the city's maritime and industrial heritage and is set to cost an estimated 90m.

This would come from a mix of public and private investment.

Tourism Minister Nigel Dodds said the decision left a large gap and he would now consider other sources for funding.

Titanic Foundation chairman Brian Ambrose said the plan had been well pitched to fund managers and the decision was a setback.

"I think the team did a tremendous job in presenting the project and I'm disappointed we haven't been selected," he said.

"But as far as the project goes we dust ourselves down, we move on and we're still determined to deliver this project on time for the centenary in 2012."

The Living Landmarks Fund is expected to finance up to six projects across the UK.



SEE ALSO
Regeneration schemes up for grant
08 Aug 06 |  Northern Ireland
Appeal to change 'stinking' river
02 Aug 06 |  Northern Ireland
Can Titanic become tourist magnet?
17 Jul 06 |  Northern Ireland
Titanic tourist project unveiled
11 Aug 05 |  Northern Ireland

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific