Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Sunday, 26 March, 2000, 22:20 GMT
Vigil before Bloody Sunday inquiry
Torchlit procession
Torchlit procession on eve of Bloody Sunday inquiry
Thousands of marchers have staged a candlelit march in Londonderry on the eve of a public inquiry into the Bloody Sunday killings.

The demonstrators staged a silent march as a mark of respect for the 14 men who died when British paratroopers opened fire on a civil rights parade which had been declared illegal on 30 January, 1972.

The circumstances of the killings, in Londonderry's Bogside district, have been bitterly contested ever since.


Lord Widgery
Lord Widgery's inquiry was denounced as a whitewash
The families of the dead men have campaigned for more than 25 years for a re-examination of the evidence.

The first inquiry headed by Lord Widgery, which sat immediately after Bloody Sunday, was denounced as a whitewash by nationalists after it exonerated the British army soldiers of any criminal wrongdoing.

The British Government set up a new inquiry two years ago headed by a British judge Lord Saville.

He is assisted by two overseas judges, Sir Edward Somers from New Zealand and William Hoyt from Canada.

The new inquiry has already taken evidence from 1,400 people including eyewitnesses, journalists, police officers, soldiers and government officials, at a cost of 15m.

Forensic and post-mortem evidence will be re-examined and the latest computer technology will be used to try to recreate the sequence of events.


Jack Duddy
Jack Duddy: The first to die on Bloody Sunday
Interest in the public hearings is intense, with a link-up of proceedings to be broadcast live in Londonderry's 900-seat Rialto Theatre.

Londonderry Guildhall has been transformed into one of the world's most high-tech courtrooms and it is predicted the cost of the inquiry could rise to 100m.

A nephew of Jack Duddy, who was the first to die on Bloody Sunday, called for the findings of the original inquiry to be repudiated by the new hearings.

"The British Government established the Bloody Sunday inquiry because they were obliged to by the families, the people of Derry, Ireland and the international human rights community," he told the marchers.

"We have come this far. We have some distance still to go."

Veteran Londonderry journalist, Eamon McCann, a relative of one of the dead, said everything was in place for the truth to be discovered.

"All that remains to be discovered is whether the will exists to seek out the truth and to lay it out for the world to see," he said.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

18 Feb 00 | Northern Ireland
Fresh Bloody Sunday row erupts
27 Sep 99 | Northern Ireland
Bloody Sunday inquiry told of names difficulty
29 Jul 99 | UK Politics
Families fume at anonymity ruling
28 Sep 99 | Northern Ireland
Security assessment ordered at inquiry
01 Feb 98 | Bloody Sunday
Remembering Bloody Sunday
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to other UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories