Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


BBC NI's Karen Atkinson reports
The file on the Omagh bomb will not be closed
 real 28k

Monday, 13 March, 2000, 14:37 GMT
Omagh bombers 'may never be tried'
bomb damage
The bomb had a devastating impact
The head of police in the Irish Republic says those who planned the Omagh bombing may never be brought to justice, even though he knows who was behind it.

Omagh
Twenty-nine people were killed and more than 200 injured by the explosion in the County Tyrone town in 1998. So far only one man has been charged in connection with the incident.

Evidence needed

In an interview in Monday's issue of the Irish News in Belfast, the Garda Siochana Commissioner, Pat Byrne, says he knows the identities of those behind the blast.


There is a price to be paid for democracy, that a person is innocent until proven guilty

Pat Byrne, Irish Police chief
But he says it is proving difficult to gather evidence linking suspects with the attack.

"When you know who carried out the thing, what you are trying to do is get the evidence to link them - and they are very much trying to ensure that you don't get the evidence to link them," he said.

Mr Byrne added: "Intelligence is no good. If I could prosecute people for all the intelligent information I had on them, I can tell you a lot more people would be in jail."

Asked whether he thought those behind the bomb attack would not be prosecuted, he replied: "Sadly, possibly, and maybe probably."

He added: "There is a price to be paid for democracy, that a person is innocent until proven guilty."

Outrage

The bomb was planted by the Real IRA, a breakaway republican faction opposed to the Good Friday Agreement, which had been signed four months earlier.

memorial service for victims
The residents of Omagh will never forget
Two baby girls, five other children, 14 women and five men were among the victims.

The one man who has so far been charged, Colm Murphy, from Newry, County Down, has yet to receive a date for his trial.

Mr Byrne also admitted there was a possibility of a further Real IRA attack.

"There is an increased state of alert, I would be dishonest if I said that there wasn't," he said.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

07 Mar 00 | Northern Ireland
Omagh bomb accused refused legal aid
15 Feb 00 | Northern Ireland
Plea to PM over bomb atrocity
16 Aug 98 | Latest News
Who are the 'Real IRA?'
18 Mar 99 | Focus
Omagh bomb claims 29th victim
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to other Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories