Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


The BBC's Tom Coulter
"Prime employer"
 real 28k

MP for East Belfast Peter Robinson
"This had been a potential lifeline for the yard"
 real 28k

GMB representative George Matchett
"It's a massive blow"
 real 28k

Friday, 10 March, 2000, 14:11 GMT
Shipyard's anger over lost contract
Belfast shipyard Harland & Wollf needs new orders
Harland and Wolff: Order books are empty
Belfast's Harland and Wolff shipyard has criticised Northern Ireland government departments after losing a major contract.

The yard now faces the threat of closure with the loss of more than 1,700 jobs.

The company has no new orders on its books and will finish any existing work by June.

The statement came after the announcement that a deal for a new multi-million pound liner had gone to a yard in France.

Miami-based Cunard has signed a letter of intention with French shipyard Chantiers de L'Atlantique to build the 400m Queen Mary II superliner.

In its statement, the company said its financing package did not meet the requirements of the customer and had a severe impact on its competitiveness.

It said the efforts of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) in London to assist the package contrasted sharply with departments in Belfast which, it said, showed a lack of ability or desire to demonstrate any realistic support to the company.

This is thought to be a reference to a grant of almost 40m in aid that the company was seeking and how it would be paid.

Meanwhile, UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said the government had done all it legitimately could to assist the Belfast yard's bid.

Speaking in Glasgow, Mr Blair said: "Obviously we are disappointed at the decision, though it's a decision by a commercial company.

"What we had to do was to give maximum assistance to the Harland and Wolff bid which we did."

The Prime Minister said both an application for government assistance and for a "ship mortgage" had been met in full.

He added that both applications were approved "to the maximum allowed".

It had been hoped that a last-minute DTI offer to guarantee a loan to finance 80% of the Queen Mary project would aid the shipyard's prospects.

'Deeply disappointed'

Earlier on Friday, following the announcement, a Harland and Wolff spokesman described the government offer as "too little, too late".

He said the firm, which built the doomed liner Titanic and the Canberra cruise ship, was deeply disappointed not to have won the contract.

"We now have to consider the implications of this decision, but the battle on the part of the company to bring future work and guarantee the company's future is far from over," he said.

"There are other opportunities which will be pursued aggressively."

The news came hours after shipyard workers had held a mass meeting to discuss the crisis threatening their jobs.

Most of the workers rejected a recent management proposal for a three-year "no strike" agreement with unions.

Peter Robinson: Contract would tide over shipyard
Peter Robinson: Redundancies would have knock-on effect
East Belfast MP Peter Robinson, whose constituency includes the shipyard, said the ramifications of closure would be felt throughout Northern Ireland.

"I am gutted. It's a devastating blow for the thousands of people who depend on Harland and Wolff for their livelihoods," he said.

"There are other possibilities, though maybe less obvious, which require government movement to bring forward Ministry of Defence contracts."

Stephen Kingon of the Belfast Chamber of Commerce said the news was a body blow to the local economy.

"It is obviously a very sad day," he told BBC Radio Ulster.

"What was one of our flagship industries in the past now finds itself in the position where its future order book is zero after the completion of the drilling ships."

Bobby Moore, chairman of the senior shop stewards committee in the yard, said: "We are totally devastated by the news that the Queen Mary has gone to the French competition."

Mr Moore, who has worked in the yard for 28 years, said: "It is an absolutely devastating blow to me and my family and all the workers and all their families.

In a statement, Micky Arison, the chairman and chief executive of the Carnival Corporation, Cunard's parent company, confirmed the letter of intent had been signed.

He said: "Over the last months, our vision of the first true ocean liner to be built in a generation has evolved from a dream to a detailed plan on paper.

"We are satisfied that the shipyard that created Normandie, France and other legendary liners has the capability to make that dream a reality."

The final deal is expected to be confirmed within three months.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

10 Mar 00 | Northern Ireland
Yard trying to stay afloat
09 Mar 00 | Northern Ireland
The yard that built the Titanic
10 Mar 00 | Northern Ireland
Tide of change hits shipyard
08 Mar 00 | Northern Ireland
Redundancy notices at shipyard
15 Dec 99 | Northern Ireland
Shipyard gets 2.7m aid package
18 Nov 99 | Northern Ireland
Mitchell intervenes to help shipyard
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to other Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories