[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 24 April 2007, 14:34 GMT 15:34 UK
Bird's nest 'led to man's death'
Chimney pot
A bird's nest which partially blocked a chimney led to a man dying of carbon monoxide poisoning from a coal fire, an inquest has heard.

Christopher Joseph Hegarty, 19, a trainee mechanic died after falling asleep in the living room of his home in Castlederg on 2 April, 2004.

The Coroner's Court in Limavady heard Mr Hegarty's father found him dead.

He became worried when he could not contact his son and let himself into his house with a spare key.

Mr Hegarty lit a fire in his living room and fell asleep, the inquest heard.

A witness from the Coal Advisory Board said he had not seen a similar fatality caused by an open fire in 30 years.




FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific