[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 28 June 2007, 16:18 GMT 17:18 UK
Man died after drinking cocaine
Rodney Gray
Mr Gray had drunk cocaine mixed with water
A caravan park owner collapsed and died after drinking several glasses of cocaine mixed with water over a six-hour period, an inquest has heard.

Rodney Gray's widow Kathryn told Belfast Coroner's Court he had started putting the class A drug into his drink after complaining of a blocked nose.

"He used to snort it. It was only recently he swallowed it," she said.

Coroner John Leckey found that the cause of death of the Millisle father of three had been poisoning by cocaine.

Mrs Gray said her 33-year-old husband had been using the drug for four or five months.

On the night of his death in August 2006, however, his arms and legs started to shake and his eyes glazed over.

He lay on the couple's bed in a bid to overcome the reaction, and at one stage embraced Mrs Gray, she said.

But when he started foaming at the mouth and his skin changed colour an ambulance was called.

Mrs Gray said she made unsuccessful attempts to resuscitate her husband.

Stress

She said her husband had also been trying to relax from the stress and pressure of running his site when he took the fatal mixture.

Mr Leckey said there was no evidence that Mr Gray had suffered an adverse reaction to cocaine use before.

"Although it's known to be taken for recreational purposes, it's a high risk activity and death would not be unexpected, even though the person might have taken cocaine without any problems on previous occasions," he said.






FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific