[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 20 June 2007, 17:44 GMT 18:44 UK
Order 'ready for Drumcree talks'
Orangemen have staged peaceful protests at Drumcree in the last two years
Parades at Drumcree have been peaceful for the past three years
Portadown Orangemen have said they are prepared to meet face-to-face with the Garvaghy Road Residents Coalition to try to resolve the Drumcree dispute.

They have also accused the Parades Commission of failing to deliver on a mediation process.

District Master Darryl Hewitt told the BBC they would hold talks with the residents to argue for a parade down the mainly nationalist Garvaghy Road.

Mr Hewitt said the Parades Commission had been told this in October.

"The precondition is that there must be an independent chair (for the talks)," Mr Hewitt said.

"I hope that it leads to a process being instigated where the Garvaghy Road problem can be resolved."

Since 1998, the homeward route of the Orange Order parade has been blocked by the security forces, following a determination by the Parades Commission.

The parade has been marked by serious violence in the past, but it has passed off peacefully in the last three years.

The Parades Commission was set up in 1997 to make decisions on whether controversial parades should be restricted.




VIDEO AND AUDIO NEWS
District Master Darryl Hewitt speaks to BBC Newsline



SEE ALSO
Commission rules out Orange march
30 Jun 06 |  Northern Ireland
Drumcree parade passes peacefully
10 Jul 05 |  Northern Ireland
Drumcree security 'scaled down'
08 Jul 05 |  Northern Ireland

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific