The findings of the Bloody Sunday Inquiry will not be published until at least the end of next year.
Soldiers shot 13 people dead in Derry on Bloody Sunday
Inquiry chairman Lord Saville and his two colleagues, who opened the inquiry in 1998, have been trawling through evidence from almost 1,000 witnesses.
The tribunal investigated the deaths of 14 civilians shot by soldiers during a 1972 civil rights march in Londonderry.
In a letter to the victims' families, Lord Saville indicated it could be 2008 before he publishes his conclusions.
He told the families that he needs time to study the amount of material from the inquiry.
The BBC's Paul McCauley, who covered the inquiry proceedings, said: "If, as it now seems likely, he won't report until 2008, that would be 10 years since the inquiry was first announced."
Earlier this year, the families of those who died said they had been told by the Irish government that the report would not be released until next year.
At that time, a spokeswoman for the inquiry refused to give any information on when the report might be released.
Lord Saville began hearing evidence in March 2000
However, she said the families and other interested parties would receive "substantial notice" of publication.
The Bloody Sunday inquiry was established in 1998 by Prime Minister Tony Blair after a campaign by families of those killed and injured.
Lord Saville of Newdigate and the Commonwealth judges accompanying him on the inquiry began hearing evidence in March 2000.
The inquiry has heard evidence from leading politicians, including the prime minister at the time, Sir Edward Heath, civilians, policemen, soldiers and IRA members.
The first public hearing was held in March 2000 and the inquiry closed in January 2005.