[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Saturday, 21 October 2006, 09:04 GMT 10:04 UK
Firework goes off in boy's hand
The Ambulance Service warned about firework dangers
The Ambulance Service warned about firework dangers
A nine-year-old boy has been treated in hospital after a firework went off in his hand in Belfast.

He was injured in Sunnyside Street off the Ormeau Road in the south of the city at about 1800 BST on Friday.

Kenny McMahon from the Ambulance Service said the incident was a reminder that children should not be allowed to use fireworks unsupervised.

"We would just appeal to adults to make sure to supervise children when they are actually using these fireworks."

He added: "The Ambulance Service likes children to enjoy themselves - it is a festival at this time of the year.

"But having said that, these fireworks are very dangerous and toy could lose an eye or a limb."

The boy was treated at the Royal Victoria Hospital, but has now left.




SEE ALSO
Increase in NI firework injuries
10 Feb 06 |  Northern Ireland
Mother warns of firework dangers
25 Oct 04 |  Northern Ireland
Hospital issues fireworks warning
25 Oct 04 |  Northern Ireland



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific