[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 2 October 2006, 16:57 GMT 17:57 UK
Funds blow for Rape Crisis Centre
Centre works with victims of rape and sexual abuse
The centre works with victims of rape and sexual abuse
The government has withdrawn funding from the Belfast-based Rape Crisis Centre.

However, the Department of Health said funding for services to victims of rape and sexual violence would continue.

It said the 60,000 previously given to the centre will now be given to the health boards.

The department said despite receiving practical and financial support, the centre continually failed to meet government accounting requirements.

The government is now considering setting up a sexual assault referral centre in Northern Ireland.

Rape Crisis spokeswoman Eileen Calder said the centre had the support of "every political party in Northern Ireland".

"We have talked to both professional and political people and all have agreed that this is red tape, bureaucracy and nit-picking on behalf of the department," she said.




SEE ALSO
Centre 'must comply with rules'
06 Jul 06 |  Northern Ireland

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific