[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 23 June 2006, 15:16 GMT 16:16 UK
Bid to halt Orange parade fails
A limited parade is to be allowed on Saturday
A limited parade is to be permitted on Saturday
A limited Orange Order parade is to go ahead as planned through a mainly nationalist area of west Belfast.

Clonard residents were refused leave at the High Court to apply for a judicial review of the Parades Commission's ruling on Saturday's Whiterock parade.

The commission has said one lodge would be allowed onto the mainly nationalist Springfield Road with the main parade re-routed via a former factory site.

Residents' spokesman Sean Murray said it had "given in to loyalist violence".

Mr Murray, chairman of the Springfield Road Residents Action Group, said he was disappointed by the ruling.

"We are opposed to the determination particularly when it is set against the backdrop of the violence of last year," he said.

The Order has promised to abide by the commission's restrictions.

On Thursday, organisers of the parade from the Orange Order's number nine district recommended a reduction in the number of Orangemen who would take part in the march.

This recommendation was later "overwhelmingly but reluctantly" backed by at a full district meeting.

Belfast DUP councillor William Humphrey said he hoped the parade would pass off peacefully.

"The district master and his colleagues have put in a plan to ensure that the parade we will have on Saturday will be a peaceful parade, will be a dignified parade," he said.

"And it will be a parade that will ensure that the passage of the brethren along the Springfield Road returning to west Belfast Orange hall where they started out, that will bring honour to the tradition we are all proud to be a member of."

Review

Earlier this week, the Parades Commission turned down a request from Sinn Fein to review its ruling on the march, which last year saw serious rioting.

The commission said there was no new evidence to look at.

The cost of policing the Whiterock parade last year and subsequent rioting in a number of loyalist areas was estimated at 3m by the PSNI.

Police officers were attacked with petrol bombs and blast bombs, as well as live rounds during the trouble.

Last year the Orange Order delayed the parade until September in protest after the commission re-routed the entire parade through the former Mackies factory site instead of allowing it through Workman Avenue.

The government-appointed Parades Commission was set up in 1997 to make decisions on whether controversial parades should be restricted.


SEE ALSO
Order 'may reduce march numbers'
22 Jun 06 |  Northern Ireland
Body will not review march ruling
21 Jun 06 |  Northern Ireland
Order gets city parade go ahead
19 Jun 06 |  Northern Ireland

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific