[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 24 May 2006, 06:35 GMT 07:35 UK
Parades solution sought for town
Orangemen
The Orange Order has already re-routed a march in Ballymena
Sinn Fein are due to meet the Parades Commission later to discuss future parades in Ballymena.

A parade was voluntarily re-routed to help relieve tensions in the town following the death of 15-year-old Michael McIlveen earlier this month.

Sinn Fein's Philip McGuigan said they were now keen to see the parades issue in Ballymena settled for good.

The North Antrim assembly member said the issue could only be resolved through dialogue.

"It is now more than ever, time that the parades issue in Ballymena was finally settled once and for all, particularly after the death of young Michael McIlveen as a result of a bitter sectarian-fuelled attack," Mr McGuigan said.

The attack on Michael McIlveen led to widespread shock and cross-community condemnation both in the County Antrim town and across Northern Ireland.

The teenager died on 8 May, a day after being attacked by a gang at Garfield Place in Ballymena.

Six teenagers have been charged in connection with his death.

The Parades Commission was set up in by the government in 1997 to make decisions on whether controversial parades should be restricted.




SEE ALSO:
Orders condemn 'wicked' killing
10 May 06 |  Northern Ireland
Beaten teenager dies in hospital
08 May 06 |  Northern Ireland


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific