[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 11 May 2006, 18:00 GMT 19:00 UK
US government in website pledge
Scene of Omagh bombing
Twenty-nine people died in the Omagh bombing in August 1998
The US government will do what it can to shut down a website linked to the group blamed for the Omagh bombing, victims' relatives have been told.

Relatives of some of those who died in the 1998 Real IRA attack met Dean Pittman, the US consul general to Belfast, on Thursday.

Relatives' spokesman Michael Gallagher said the 32 County Sovereignty Movement's website should be closed.

He said a notice board on the site was particularly offensive.

The website's service provider is in Canada, but it has a sister company in the US.

"Mr Pittman said if there was anything they could do they would do it in support of the families," said Mr Gallagher.

"The consul general said he had already talked to the US embassy in London about the issue and had been asked by London to talk to the families.

"We are asking the US government to talk to their Canadian cousins and say this website is contrary to the current climate of putting pressure on terrorists and terrorist supporters."

Twenty-nine people, including a woman pregnant with twins, died in the 1998 Real IRA car bomb attack in the County Tyrone town.




SEE ALSO:
20m paid to Omagh bomb victims
16 Nov 05 |  Northern Ireland
Omagh bomb inquest is ruled out
24 Oct 05 |  Northern Ireland
Omagh case funding was 'unlawful'
09 Sep 05 |  Northern Ireland
Omagh father hits out at Adams
29 Mar 05 |  Northern Ireland


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific