[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 29 June, 2005, 11:40 GMT 12:40 UK
Man has Omagh bomb charge dropped
Bomb scene
Twenty nine people died in the Real IRA attack
A man charged in connection with the Omagh bombing has been freed after the charge against him was dropped.

Anthony Joseph Donegan, 34, from Dundalk, was released on the order of the Public Prosecution Service.

Mr Donegan was charged in connection with the car used to carry the 1998 Real IRA bomb, which killed 29 people, including the mother of unborn twins.

Raymond Kitson of the PPS said the file from police had been "considered and the test for prosecution was not met".

He said the PPS had studied the file sent to them by the Police Service of Northern Ireland "very, very carefully" before making the decision.

The charge put to Mr Donegan when he appeared before Enniskillen Magistrates Court in February was that between 11 and 16 August 1998, he made available to another person a maroon Vauxhall Cavalier car knowing it might be used for terrorism.

Inquiry call

Michael Gallagher, whose son died in what was Northern Ireland's worst terrorist atrocity, said he was disappointed that approaching the seventh anniversary of the bombing no-one had been convicted.

"I think a full cross-border public inquiry is the only way we are going to get to the truth of what happened," he said.

Sean Gerard Hoey, 35, of Molly Road, Jonesborough, South Armagh, is the only man still in custody charged with the bombing.

He was charged in May with the murders of the 29 people killed in the bombing.



PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific