[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 25 November 2005, 12:07 GMT
Court frees army attack accused
Michael Rogan
Michael Rogan is freed after being cleared of bombing charges
A Belfast man accused of involvement in a double bomb attack at the Army's Northern Ireland headquarters nine years ago has walked free from court.

Michael Rogan, 45, from Easton Avenue, was arrested in Tenerife last year after spending seven years on the run.

A soldier was killed and 33 people injured in the IRA attacks on Thiepval Barracks, Lisburn, in October 1996.

The judge gave his not guilty verdict after considering a defence claim of "no case to answer".

A defence lawyer had claimed there was no evidence of any knowledge on the part of Mr Rogan "to cause any explosion, to engage in any type of criminal or indeed terrorist activity".

Mr Rogan was also cleared of two further charges of collecting information useful to terrorists.

'No case'

The accused had been granted bail in November 1997, but failed to appear back in court and a warrant was issued for his arrest.

Belfast Crown Court judge Mr Justice McLaughlin said he had considered a "no case to answer application" and had decided to clear 45-year-old Mr Rogan of involvement in the attack which cost of the life of Warrant Officer James Bradwell, (46).

The judge said he had prepared a judgement setting out his reasons for the acquittals, but it was not yet ready to be delivered.

He added that it would be "handed down in the near future".

The defence lawyer said anything beyond stating Rogan purchased the two Volvo cars said to have been used in the attacks was "pure speculation".





PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific