A teenager suffered a broken ankle and other injuries in a sectarian assault in Ballymena, police have said.
Stones were also thrown at the police during the incident
The attack on the Protestant youth took place at about 2130 BST on Monday and was one of a number of disturbances in the town.
More than 20 youths were involved in the trouble which broke out in the Dunfane area.
The youths then moved to the Dunclug estate where stones were thrown at cars.
Stones were also thrown at the police during the incident, which took place on the Cushendall and Grove Roads, although no-one was injured.
The youth was assaulted by a gang in the Dunclug estate a short time later.
SDLP councillor Declan O'Loan said he had been canvassing in the Dunfane area earlier that evening when concerned residents told him there had been trouble at a football match.
"Apparently a large group of youths turned up with hurley sticks and tricolours and a serious altercation ensued," he said.
DUP assembly member for North Antrim Ian Paisley Jnr said he was appalled by the brutality of the attack.
"For some time my colleagues and I have been warning about the deliberate intimidation of Protestants living in this part of Ballymena by an orchestrated campaign of sectarian hatred," he said.
Superintendent Terry Shevlin said the attack was part of a spiralling number of incidents involving groups of youths from both sides of the community in the town.
"The police will be robust in prosecuting those found to be involved in incidents, but I am also appealing for community leaders to use their influence to bring these incidents to a halt," he said.