[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 9 February, 2005, 11:14 GMT
Man in court over Omagh bomb car
Enniskillen Magistrates Court
The accused appeared at Enniskillen Magistrates Court
A 34-year-old labourer from the Irish Republic has appeared in court accused of providing the car used by the Real IRA to leave the Omagh bomb in 1998.

Anthony Joseph Donegan, of Afton Drive, Dundalk, is charged with supplying a car to terrorists between 11 August and 16 August 1998.

The accused, who appeared at Enniskillen Magistrates Court, replied not guilty when he was charged.

He was remanded in custody and will appear at Omagh courthouse on 8 March.

Twenty-nine men, women and children died and hundreds were injured in the 1998 attack on the County Tyrone town.

The bombing was later admitted by the dissident republican Real IRA.

In the dock on Wednesday, the accused stood with a jumper draped over his shoulders, as the charge was put to him.

He was accused of making a maroon Vauxhall Cavalier car available to another person between 11 August and 16 August 1998.

Charge

A detective sergeant told the court that, when he charged and cautioned the accused at Omagh police station on Tuesday, he replied "not guilty".

He said he believed he could connect the accused with the charge and the resident magistrate remanded the defendant in custody.

The accused is due to appear by video-link at Omagh courthouse on 8 March.

Last month, Colm Murphy - the only man to be convicted in connection with the Omagh bomb - had his appeal unheld by a Dublin Court.

He is now facing a retrial.




RELATED BBC LINKS:


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific