[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 13 September 2005, 20:00 GMT 21:00 UK
UDA calls for end to NI violence
New Barnsley police station was attacked
Loyalist violence which has hit parts of Northern Ireland should stop, the Ulster Defence Association has said.

Chief Constable Sir Hugh Orde has blamed the UDA and UVF for being behind the trouble, sparked by the re-routing of a contentious Orange Order parade.

The statement, issued by the UDA in north Belfast, came as police said 63 people were arrested over three nights of rioting which left 60 officers hurt.

UDA members were urged to remain calm, "no matter what the provocation".

"No longer can we or will we let these types of situations destroy our own communities as it seems the community is the only sufferer in this conflict," it added.

QUICK GUIDE

In the latest night of violence in Belfast and other parts of Northern Ireland on Monday, 10 police officers were injured.

Sixty people have been arrested for public order offences and three in connection with serious terrorist offences. Police said that more arrests would be made.

On Monday, trouble flared in Belfast, Lisburn, Newtownards and Newtownabbey.

But the violence was not on the same scale as at the weekend, police said.

In north Belfast, arrests were made in the Cambrai Street/Boundary Way area and the Army dealt with a pipe bomb.

Petrol bombs, fireworks and other missiles were also thrown and one police officer was knocked unconscious when he was hit with a brick.

In west Belfast, about 40 petrol bombs were thrown and New Barnsley police station came under attack.

Police moved water cannon on to the Shankill Road after being attacked by rioters throwing petrol bombs.

In east Belfast, paint and bottles were thrown at police and an attempt was made to hijack a bus. A car was hijacked in Ravenscroft Avenue.

Burning car, Belfast
Cars have been set on fire in north Belfast

In Lisburn, there were petrol bomb attacks and a woman was pulled from her car which was then set alight.

In Newtownabbey, Bangor, Newtownards and Millisle, there was sporadic violence. Cars were hijacked, buildings set alight and petrol bombs thrown.

One car was burned in the Ballykeel 1 estate in Ballymena. The police recovered ten crates of milk bottles and two drums of petrol. A firework was also thrown at the police.

Ten officers were injured in Monday's violence, a total of 50 officers were injured in the weekend riots.

As part of their ongoing investigations, police are considering breaches of the Parades Commission's ruling on Saturday's Whiterock parade.

A man walks past a burning vehicle
Police were unable to stop vehicles being burnt out
Chris Kerr from the Fire and Rescue Service said that, as far as fire crews were concerned, tensions were "greatly reduced" on Monday night.

Northern Ireland Secretary Peter Hain is reviewing to what extent Ulster Volunteer Force or Ulster Defence Association members orchestrated the violence.

He is expected to announce on Wednesday that the UVF ceasefire is no longer recognised.

The US consul general Dean Pittman said he was "disheartened and saddened" by the violence of the past few days.

HAVE YOUR SAY
These events show that political documentation such as the Good Friday Agreement bear little impact on deep rooted problems
William Phipps, London, UK

He was speaking during a visit to an integrated primary school in Londonderry.

He described the image sent out across the world at the weekend as "terrible". It was now important for leaders to come together and build for the future, he said.

Unionists said there had been a build-up of resentment within their community because of the government's handling of the peace process.

Trouble began in the city on Saturday after the Parades Commission refused to change their decision not to allow the Orange Order's Whiterock parade to pass through a nationalist section of Springfield Road.

Meanwhile, evening bus services from Belfast to areas which have been particularly affected by rioting since Saturday have been cancelled.

Services leaving the city centre to east and north Belfast, Bangor and Newtownards were cancelled from 1830 BST on Tuesday.

Metro services are continuing to operate as normal to south and west Belfast.

Rush hour traffic leaving Belfast was also disrupted for the second day running by loyalist protests, which have now ended.

Roads were earlier blocked at the gates of Lanark Way and at Denmark Street in the Shankill area, and at Crumlin Road near the old courthouse.

Motorists trying to make their way out of the city at rush hour were also delayed by protests at Twaddell Avenue, Derriaghy Road and Blacks Road.

The Westlink was closed for a time, as was the citybound lane of the M1 from its junction at Stockmans Lane.


BBC NEWS: VIDEO AND AUDIO
See police video of the riots over the weekend



SEE ALSO:
Q and A: Orange marches
13 Sep 05 |  Northern Ireland
Third night of loyalist violence
13 Sep 05 |  Northern Ireland
Protestant fears and loyalist anger
13 Sep 05 |  Northern Ireland
Regeneration 'moving too slowly'
13 Sep 05 |  Northern Ireland
NI sees 'worst rioting in years'
11 Sep 05 |  Northern Ireland


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific