BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Saturday, 15 September, 2001, 09:08 GMT 10:08 UK
Search for victims continues
New York search continues in difficult conditions
New York search continues in difficult conditions
The anxious wait is continuing for the Irish and British relatives and friends of people missing after the US terror attacks.

Following a day of mourning across Europe and America on Friday, the search effort is continuing in the ruins of the World Trade Center in New York under difficult circumstances.

Thousands attended interdenominational services in Belfast, Londonderry, Armagh and Portadown and a three-minute silence was held on Friday morning, when life in other major European cities also paused.

In Dublin, thousands more attended a memorial service with Irish President Mary McAleese and Taoiseach Bertie Ahern.

Queues of people over a mile long waited to sign books of condolence in Dublin and similar books have been opened by churches and local authorities throughout Northern Ireland.

Services to pray for the dead and their relatives will also be held on Saturday, including one at St Anne's Cathedral in Belfast.

The choir from St Anne's were in New York in July and visited the twin towers of the World Trdae Center.

President visits Manhattan

On Friday President Bush went to see the devastation in Manhattan, on the third day of searching for any survivors and bodies after the double strike on the twin towers using hijacked passenger jets.

Search for survivors continues in New York
Search for survivors continues in New York
He flew over the scene of the disaster by helicopter, before touching down.

Mr Bush has authorised the call-up of about 50,000 reserve troops, in response to the New York and Washington attacks.

Troops are helping in the massive operation to move rubble from the unstable site in downtown Manhattan.

Air force reservists will also patrol air corridors over major US cities.

On Friday thunderstorms and driving rain were hampering the rescue effort in New York.

The list of people still missing in New York is remains at about 4,700. Only about 100 bodies have been recovered.

But it is believed many more were killed.

The US government has now said the number of people killed in the attack on the Pentagon in Washington may be more than 200.

The British Government has said the number of Britons confirmed dead is about 100 and it is feared more than 500 were killed.

The Irish Department of Foreign Affairs has so far confirmed four Irish people were killed in the attacks.

But the Dublin government expects that figure to reach double figures.

The Foreign Office emergency number for British people worried about friends and relatives is: 020 7008 0000.

The Dublin Department of Foreign Affairs emergency number is: 00 353 1 408 2000.

See also:

13 Sep 01 | Northern Ireland
Families fear loved ones dead
14 Sep 01 | Northern Ireland
NI mourns terror attack victims
13 Sep 01 | Northern Ireland
Belfast paramedic recalls US terror
12 Sep 01 | Northern Ireland
Survivors' family die in tragic twist
14 Sep 01 | Northern Ireland
Belfast mosque attacked as fears rise
14 Sep 01 | Americas
Nations grieve for US terror victims
14 Sep 01 | UK Politics
Blair pledges action against terror
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories