BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Friday, 6 July, 2001, 11:13 GMT 12:13 UK
No restrictions on Keady parade
Orangmen marching
The Orange march in Keady will go ahead
The Northern Ireland Parades Commission has not imposed any conditions on the 12 July Orange Order parade in Keady, County Armagh.

In a decision announced on Friday, it said the march would take place from Keady Orange Hall to Tassagh Road at its junction with Bachelor's Walk.

Meanwhile, the Newtownbutler Area Residents Association has called off a protest planned for this Sunday in County Fermanagh.

It said it would be there to observe how Orangemen complied with a Parades Commission determination which has placed restrictions on the march.

Return route

The association said it did not wish to disrupt business in Newtownbutler, or interfere with this weekend's Gaelic Athletic Association Ulster football final.

The parade is prohibited from proceeding on its notified return route between Galloon parish church and the Orange Hall in the town's Main Street.

Instead, it will disperse at the church at the conclusion of the service.

The Parades Commission is expected to announce its decision on later on Friday on an Orange Order parade in Londonderry on 12 July.

The order has applied to march in the Diamond area, but the nationalist Bogside residents group has lodged an objection.

Meanwhile, a nationalist residents group has criticised the commission over a decision to allow two Orange feeder parades on the Springfield Road area of west Belfast on 12 July.

The Springfield Road Residents Action Group said no restrictions have been put on the marches.

Upheld decision

Earlier, the Grand Master of the Orange Order, Robert Saulters, said the Order had been treated with contempt by the Parades Commission.


The Parades Commission have lost out on this opportunity by simply siding with one side of the community

David Jones

He was speaking after the commission decided to uphold its decision to ban this Sunday's Drumcree Orange Parade from marching down the Garvaghy Road in Portadown.

The Parades Commission announced the result of its review of the decision on Thursday, after meeting with unionist and nationalist politicians, residents' representatives and the Orange Order.

Portadown District spokesperson David Jones, said their proposals were dismissed by the commission even before they got off the ground.

'Direct dialogue'

However, Breandan Mac Cionnaith, of the Garvaghy Road Residents' Coalition, said the commission made the only decision it could have, and that direct dialogue was the only way forward.

Breandan MacCionnaith
Breandan Mac Cionnaith: "This was the only possible decision"

A crowd of several hundred loyalists, including a large contingent of children, marched to army lines at Drumcree Church in Portadown on Thursday evening.

They carried banners supporting the Shankill Road UFF (Ulster Freedom Fighters) and another banner stating "Lower Shankill Supports Portadown Orangemen".

Meanwhile, the commission has barred an Orange Order parade from walking along the mainly nationalist lower Ormeau Road on 12 July.

The district master for the Ballynafeigh Orange Lodge Noel Liggett has called into question the competency of the parades commission.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

05 Jul 01 | Northern Ireland
Orange Order 'concerned' by ruling
05 Jul 01 | Northern Ireland
Commission upholds parade ruling
05 Jul 01 | Northern Ireland
'New proposal' on Drumcree parade
03 Jul 00 | Northern Ireland
Police injured during rioting
02 Jul 00 | Northern Ireland
Security fears at Drumcree
02 Jul 00 | Northern Ireland
Appeal for Drumcree calm
01 Jul 00 | Northern Ireland
Protestants prepare to march
30 Jun 00 | Northern Ireland
'Nothing new' in parade proposals
01 Jul 01 | Northern Ireland
Minor clashes over Orange parade
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories