BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Wednesday, 2 May, 2001, 15:06 GMT 16:06 UK
McGuinness confirms IRA role
Martin McGuinness in the 1970s
Martin McGuinness: 1970s IRA leader will not name other members
Northern Ireland education minister Martin McGuinness has confirmed that he was a senior IRA member in Londonderry in the 1970s.

The Sinn Fein minister admitted on Tuesday that he was the IRA's second-in-command in the city in 1972, as part of a draft written submission to the Bloody Sunday Inquiry.

But at a press conference at his party's west Belfast headquarters on Wednesday, the leading republican admitted his membership of the IRA in person for the first time.

Asked by a BBC reporter if he was the IRA's second in command in Derry on the day paratroopers fired on a civil rights march, killing 13 people, he simply answered "yes".

He added: "I will definitively tell the Bloody Sunday tribunal that the IRA did not engage in any way with the British Army on Bloody Sunday.

"In fact, I also will tell them there were no IRA units on the march, in the Rossville Flats area. There were no IRA weapons in that area and that no IRA shots were fired at the British Army."

'Honest account'

Mr McGuinness said that in his statement to the tribunal he had "given a very full and very frank and very honest account of what I was doing on Bloody Sunday".

Martin McGuinness says IRA men did not fire shots on Bloody Sunday
Martin McGuinness says IRA men did not fire shots on Bloody Sunday
He declined to give details of what had been in the draft statement sent to the tribunal, but did say he could dismiss as "rubbish and lies" claims from lawyers for some of the soldiers that IRA men had been shot on Bloody Sunday and been buried in secret across the border in the Irish Republic.

Mr McGuinness said he had decided to give evidence and face questioning at the tribunal being held in the Derry Guildhall because so many other witnesses had already been asked about what he was doing on that day.

He said he wanted to see the truth of what happened on Bloody Sunday coming out as much as anyone else.

But he said there was a danger that the tribunal was "turning into the Martin McGuinness show" rather than an investigation into the killing of 14 people by paratroopers on 30 January 1972.

"The people of Derry know that, but the world now needed to know."

'Truth tribunal'

He said if his contribution to the tribunal in any small way "contributes to the lifting of the veil and the conspiracy of silence of the last 30-odd years, then I think it is a very positive thing to do".

Asked if he would reveal when he had joined the IRA and when he had left the organisation, he side-stepped the question.

But he said the tribunal opened up the proposition that consideration might need to be given to a truth tribunal being held in Northern Ireland.

He said if such a tribunal was held, he would expect not just republicans, but the British Government, British Army, British intelligence, SAS, and the RUC to step forward.

Questioned on whether other members of the IRA would give evidence to the tribunal, he said that would be for them to decide: "I am speaking for me."

He said during the course of the tribunal to date people had tried to use him against the families, against the injured and against the people of Derry. He said he was now standing with the people of the city.

Mixed reaction

Mr McGuinness's decision to provide his testimony is a breakthrough for the tribunal, which has been pursuing him and other republicans for the past three years to establish what they were doing during the civil rights demonstration in the Bogside.

The move has been welcomed by relatives of those killed and wounded by the army, some unionists and by Northern Ireland Secretary John Reid.

However, hard-line unionists have said he should face criminal charges - or at least questions about IRA murders and other actions beyond Bloody Sunday.

The Bloody Sunday Inquiry was established in 1998 with Lord Saville of Newdigate in the chair.

It has been sitting in public for the past year and is expected to run for another two years.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Denis Murray
"The British and Irish governments have welcomed Mr McGuinness' step"
DUP Regional Development Minister Gregory Campbell:
"If he was directing the IRA on Bloody Sunday, was he directing the IRA when an RUC man was murdered 72 hours before?"
See also:

30 Apr 01 | Northern Ireland
McGuinness reveals IRA role
29 Apr 01 | Northern Ireland
Profile: Martin McGuinness
30 Apr 01 | Northern Ireland
An eagerly awaited testimony
05 Dec 00 | Northern Ireland
Claim over Bloody Sunday's 'first shot'
26 Jan 01 | Northern Ireland
McGuinness will give inquiry evidence
27 Nov 00 | Northern Ireland
'Innocents' died on Bloody Sunday
22 Nov 00 | Northern Ireland
Bloody Sunday 'planned' claim
22 Jun 99 | UK
Behind the MI5 myth
26 Jan 01 | Northern Ireland
Bloody Sunday victim gives evidence
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories