7 questions on controversial kisses
American Idol star Adam Lambert has caused controversy in the US by kissing a male member of his band during a performance at the American Music Awards.
Now, test your knowledge of controversial kisses.
1.) Multiple Choice Question
US TV network ABC received more than 1,500 complaints after Adam Lambert's kiss. But how many people watched the televised show?
- 2.2 million
- 14.2 million
- 25.8 million
2.) Multiple Choice Question
Robert Doisneau was forced to admit in 1992 that his famous photo of a snatched kiss in 1950s Paris was posed. Why?
- His diaries revealing the fact were stolen
- A couple wrongly claimed to be the lovers in the best-selling poster
- His ex-wife told a newspaper
3.) Multiple Choice Question
Arrest warrants were issued for Richard Gere and Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty after he kissed her during a public appearance in Delhi. He was accused of obscene behaviour, but what was she accused of?
- Obscene behaviour
- Bringing India's reputation into disrepute
- Not resisting Gere's advances
4.) Multiple Choice Question
Star Trek's Captain Kirk and Lieutenant Uhura shared what is believed to be the first "interracial" kiss on US television in 1968. When was the episode first shown on British TV?
5.) Multiple Choice Question
A Heinz advert for Deli Mayo which showed two men kissing was the UK's fourth most complained about advert in 2008. How many people lodged objections?
6.) Multiple Choice Question
In 1993 Brookside showed the first lesbian kiss on British TV before the 9pm watershed. Actress Anna Friel's career took off afterwards. Her co-kisser Nicola Stephenson went on to star in which TV series?
- Holby City
- The Bill
7.) Multiple Choice Question
Madonna and Britney Spears puckered up during a peformance at MTV's 20th Video Music Awards in 2003. But who did Madonna kiss during a concert in Paris last year, causing another fuss?
- Singer Katy Perry
- A dancer dressed as Jesus
- A female fan
- It's 14.2 million, according to Reuters. Lambert said if people had been upset by his performance it is a "form of discrimination and it's too bad".
- He owned up after a couple claimed they were the unwitting subjects of Baiser de l'Hôtel de Ville, and demanded compensation. Doisneau said they were not the kissing couple in question, as he had asked a pair of young lovers to pose for the work.
- Not resisting Gere's advances. All charges were later dismissed by India's Supreme Court. Gere swept Shetty into his arms and kissed her on the cheek during an Aids awareness event. Kissing in public is widely considered taboo in India.
- The BBC did not show Plato's Stepchildren until 1993. This was due to violence in the episode, not the kiss. An "interracial" kiss had already been shown on British TV years earlier in Emergency Ward 10.
- The Advertising Standards Authority received 215 complaints. It ruled that despite some people's personal objection to same-sex kissing, it did not see anything in the kiss in breach of its code.
- It's Holby City, with guest appearances in the likes of Casualty and Hotel Babylon. Friel, meanwhile, went on to forge a film career and is currently starring in Breakfast at Tiffany's on the West End stage.
- She kissed a female fan pulled out from the crowd.
0 - 3 : Just lip service
4 - 6 : Pucker up
7 - 7 : What a smacker
For a complete archive of past quizzes, including the Curriculum tests and our weekly news quiz 7 days 7 questions, visit the Magazine index and scroll down the page.