7 questions on Latin
Carpe diem. And what better way to do it than with the Magazine's Latin quiz. It's the latest in our series of ad hoc tests linked to University Challenge. So with a respectful nod to that quiz institution, here are some Latin brain teasers.
Remember, qui audet adipiscitur.
1.) Latin Quiz
"De gustibus non est disputandum" means there's no disputing about what?
2.) Latin Quiz
What does "cogito ergo sum" mean?
- I think, therefore I am
- I am the sum of me
- I am one of many
3.) Latin Quiz
Ars longa, vita *
4.) Latin Quiz
What is the most popular meaning of "nemo me impune lacessit"?
- No-one labels me with impunity
- No-one provokes me with impunity
- No-one has lasting impunity
"Nemo me impune lacessit" appears on the side of some £1 coins. It is also the motto of the Order of the Thistle, the highest honour in Scotland, second only in precedence in the UK to the Order of the Garter.
5.) Latin Quiz
The general meaning of "e pluribus unum" is many uniting into one, but what is the direct translation?
- One of many
- Out of many, one
- Many out of one
6.) Latin Quiz
Ars * artis
7.) Latin Quiz
What does "de die in diem" mean?
- Once in a day
- Day after day
- From day to day
- It's taste. It's essentially equivalent to the English expression "there's no accounting for taste".
- It's "I think, therefore I am". French philosopher Rene Descartes used it to prove his own existence, claiming his ability to form thoughts made him a real, living, human being.
- It's "brevis".
- It's "no-one provokes me with impunity", but it is also translated by some as "no-one attacks me with impunity".
- It's "out of many, one". The motto is on the American seal, above the head of the eagle.
- It's gratia.
- It's "from day to day".
0 - 3 : Aut disce aut discede (Either learn or leave)
4 - 6 : Dum vita est spes est (While life is, hope is)
7 - 7 : Nulli secundus (Second to none)
For a complete archive of past quizzes, including the GCSE tests and our weekly news quiz 7 days 7 questions, visit the Magazine index and scroll down the page.