BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 17 January 2008, 15:14 GMT
Drugs mix-up 'led to nurse death'
Mayra Cabrera
Mrs Cabrera's son survived
A succession of drugs mix-ups by midwives led to a woman's death, an inquest jury has heard.

The hearing heard how an epidural anaesthetic was mistakenly given to 30-year-old Mayra Cabrera, via an intravenous drip, in hospital.

Nurse Mrs Cabrera, who came to Swindon from the Philippines in 2002, died of Bupivacaine toxicity in May 2004.

Christina Rattigan, head of midwifery at Great Western Hospital (GWH), agreed policy breaches had taken place.

Ms Rattigan admitted there had possibly been a similar mix-up with Bupivacaine in 1994, although her recollection was sketchy.

No charges

Gerwyn Samuel, representing Mrs Cabrera's husband, told the court that in 2001 there were two other non-fatal incidents - one involving Bupivacaine - where epidural drugs were wrongly set up for intravenous infusion.

These three incidents took place at the former Princess Margaret Hospital, replaced by GWH in 2002.

A note distributed around GWH by its chief pharmacist asked staff to ensure Bupivacaine was clearly marked and stored separately from intravenous drugs.

But the inquest heard this failed to happen until after Mrs Cabrera's death. Mrs Cabrera died after giving birth to her son Zac, who survived.

Wiltshire Police investigated the death but a decision was later taken by the Crown Prosecution Service not to charge anyone.

The hearing continues.

Midwife speaks of woman's death
08 Jan 08 |  Wiltshire
Man deported after wife's inquest
07 Jan 08 |  Wiltshire
Injection death hospital 'sorry'
30 May 06 |  Wiltshire
Inquiry follows injection death
25 May 06 |  Wiltshire

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific