[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 29 March 2006, 13:26 GMT 14:26 UK
Killer wiped out two generations

Steve Brodie
BBC West Home Affairs Correspondent

Hayley Richards
Hayley was three months pregnant when she was killed
Christina Richards will never be able to watch her grandchild growing up after a knife attack by Hugo Quintas took away both her youngest child and her unborn granddaughter.

"I will never, never forgive him, he's broken our hearts," said Mrs Richards.

Her daughter Hayley was three months pregnant when her boyfriend - and the baby's father - Quintas cut her throat in a fury when she admitted sleeping with someone else.

Less than a week before he killed her, Hayley had gone to the police saying he had attacked her and she was "petrified" he wanted revenge.

The following Saturday her fears were realised.

Just hours before he killed Hayley, he was spotted on CCTV in a travel agents in Trowbridge buying an air ticket to Portugal.

Later that day he bought a new mobile phone in Bath. He then spent the evening in Terry's night club before going on to Hayley's flat.

Hugo Quintas during police interview
Hugo Quintas was arrested in Spain and extradited back to Britain

After the killing he drove home, with his clothes soaked in blood. He would later tell police he had been in a fight.

The next day he put his escape plan into action. Quintas and his friend Joaquim Da Cunha travelled to Bristol by train and headed to the city's airport.

Just minutes after he boarded his flight to Portugal, the police broke into the flat and found Hayley dead.

He had killed her with a craft knife - a fragment of the blade was found at his home. Forensic scientists discovered his fingerprints in the flat and Hayley's DNA in his car.

Police soon caught up with Quintas. He had travelled from Portugal across the border into Spain, where he was arrested and extradited.

Every moment of his journey back was caught on tape - even the ride from Heathrow to Wiltshire in the back of a police van.

The crime scene at Hayley's flat
Hayley's body was found just after Quintas flew to Portugal

When questioned he initially claimed he had killed Hayley in self-defence.

Later he changed his story, claiming Hayley had provoked him. He said she had been unfaithful and had got pregnant by someone else.

But DNA tests proved he was the father.

Just six days before she was killed, Hayley Richards dialled 999 and said her boyfriend had tried to strangle her.

Her brother Paul believes Hayley would still be alive if the police had acted more quickly.

The police went to the flat and took Hayley to hospital. The attack - including Quintas's threats to kill his girlfriend - were logged in a police report.

But Quintas was not arrested and, days later, Hayley was dead. Her family wants to know why nothing was done.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has investigated the handling of the case and has some criticisms.

Wiltshire's chief constable Martin Richards denies the force failed in its duty to protect Hayley. He says an officer went to Quintas's home the day after the complaint.

"All the indications we're getting back from the IPCC are that officers made decisions but that none of them made decisions in such a way... that would lead any of them to face any discipline hearing," said Ch Con Richards.

See Hugo Quintas being questioned by police

Woman's throat cut in affair row
22 Mar 06 |  Wiltshire
Accused suspected secret affair
21 Mar 06 |  Wiltshire
Dead woman 'petrified' of partner
14 Mar 06 |  Wiltshire
Accused 'cut girlfriend's throat'
13 Mar 06 |  Wiltshire

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific