Explorer David Hempleman-Adams says he will make another attempt to cross the Atlantic in a hot air balloon after failing for the second time at the weekend.
His first attempt to cross the Atlantic failed in September 2002
The Wiltshire-based adventurer, who says the new attempt could take place in September, took off on Saturday morning from Pittsburgh, but was forced to abandon the challenge on Sunday.
He brought his balloon down in a field in Massachusetts.
Weather forecasters had predicted that wind streams were not strong enough to complete the challenge within the planned timescale.
David is of course very disappointed, but also a very determined man. He is determined to persevere and try again
The flight control team
It was feared that if he continued on the adventure he may have been forced to crash land in the Atlantic.
He had been attempting to make the journey in an open wicker basket rather than a hi-tech capsule.
Flight control in Bristol confirmed that the voyage was abandoned at about 1000 BST on Sunday.
Nigel Mitchell from the flight control team said: "Due to decreasing wind speeds, what had been predicted as a maximum seven days' flight over the Atlantic would have become a 10 or even 11-day flight.
"This would have raised the probability of David Hempleman-Adams being forced to ditch into the Atlantic.
"David is of course very disappointed, but also a very determined man. He is determined to persevere and try again."
A recovery team is on its way to collect the adventurer and he will return to the UK soon, flight control confirmed.
If successful, the voyage would have broken the solo world distance record for the AM-08 Roziere class of balloon.
The voyage was also aimed at raising awareness of the 2003 Special Olympics, which are currently taking place in Ireland.